Welcome to episode 9 of the Ekklesia Podcast. Let’s talk about formal church membership. Is formal church membership necessary and why do most institutional church settings require it? Why am I viewed with suspicion if I don’t become a formal member in an institutional church? Is formal church membership a neutral idea or is it something that is detrimental to genuine community and practicing the “one anothers” in the New Testament? Am I obligated to sign a formal church membership contract? Is formal membership in a church a required part of Christianity? Does God require formal church membership?
Let’s talk about these questions and more in this episode of The Ekklesia Podcast. Most formal church membership contracts revolve around three main areas affecting our lives:
- Your Money and Personal Resources.
- Power, Authority, and Your Accountability.
- Threat of Excommunication for Failure to Meet Expectations.
In this episode I talk about all three as I interact with on-line sources and draw from personal experience as a former pastor.
Sources referenced in this episode:
- Rethinking Church: Formal Church Membership. This is my article that this episode is loosely based on.
- Rethinking Church Series. This is my 5-part series on rethinking church.
- Is Church Membership Biblical? – Matt Chandler.
- Membership Matters: 3 Reasons for Church Membership – Ed Stetzer.
- Membership – The Village Church.
- Affirmation of Commitment – Grace Community Church.